Monday, March 9, 2015

Where We Are Now by Glynn Owens

by Glynn Owens - Artistic Director

Two months in, approximately 8 full rehearsals, and we have accomplished quite a lot.  Being my first solo project of only my dances, I am a little uncertain of my pacing when it comes to being prepared for May 15th, our first performance at the Orlando Fringe. At times I feel confident, others I feel unprepared. At any given moment if you were to ask me what am I thinking about, I'd most likely respond "Fringe".

My dancers are an eclectic mix of talent and background.  I feel optimistic that the company will rally to grasp the new concepts being presented and asked to learn for the new choreography. Everyone seems to be really supportive of the premise of the company, and subsequently, me.  I am so grateful that I have found dancers who are willing to set aside their free time on Sundays to rehearse.  I respect them all very much for doing so, even with their foreknowledge that the dancers will only be receiving meager monetary compensation for all the hours and effort they are putting in to make this dream of mine become a reality.

I am also so grateful to Terrah Denham for her financial assistance to this project.  Her longstanding support of me and my dream has been backed by a generous donation, for which I am completely humbled and extremely grateful.

You are only as good as the team you build around you, it has been said.  I am lucky and thankful to have Kimberly Moy and Victoria Kroll by my side since the fateful night after class when I began to share this dream of mine of starting a dance company.  Both have worked above and beyond any expectations I may have had. Though they are not dancers with the company, they have both become such crucial parts of the company, their absence would be devastating to me and 2nd Sight Dance.

Lastly, I am without words to tell how very fortunate, humbled and grateful I am for such an amazing wife, Cheryl Owens. She has carried this burden of a dream with me long before talks ever began about applying for Fringe.  She has sacrificed and paid an extreme cost, both financially and emotionally, to see this dream of mine come to fruition. Without her, this project would in many ways be rather pointless to me.  It has been her unwavering love and encouragement that has pulled me through my darkest times of doubt and fear.  I owe so much more than just a debt of gratitude to her. She is my biggest fan, my most loyal supporter, and my closest & most trusted friend. I am so very blessed.

Now, moving forward ... we dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment